What we know for sure now is that the adage “laughter is the best medicine” is true. If you have ever been in a tense or awkward situation when you suddenly burst into a fit of giggles or laughter, then you understand what we mean. Maybe you also have felt a sense of release after watching a side-splittingly funny movie. Laughter activates the body’s natural relaxation response. You know of Deepak Chopra, and he says the healthiest response to life is laughter.
Let’s review some of the best ways that we find laughter to be the best medicine:
- Laughter Is Contagious – The discovery of mirror neurons – that causes us to smile when someone smiles at us gives credence to the belief that laughter is contagious. Why is a sense of humor so important when looking for a partner? We like the feeling of shared laughter, and our body wants as much of this feeling as is possible.
- Laughter Reduces The Stress Response – Stress is an everyday occurrence for a lot of people. When you laugh, there is a contraction of muscles, which increases blood flow and oxygenation. Laughter will stimulate the heart and lungs and triggers the release of “endorphins” that help you to feel more relaxed both physically and emotionally.
Laughter Boosts Immunity – According to one study done at Indiana State School Of Nursing, mirthful laughter may increase natural killer cell levels, a type of white blood cell that attacks cancer cells. What you can see is how powerful the ability to laugh is and why you have to incorporate it into your life.
- Laughter Combats Depression – Being unhappy can become a pattern or mindset if we don’t step outside of ourselves occasionally. When we can be a witness to our situation rather than allowing ourselves to feel the victim we can find the humor in it and see it with fresh eyes.
- Laughter Relieves Pain – People who are laughing don’t experience less pain, however, people do report being less bothered by the pain they do experience. The amount of pain remains the same, but your perceived levels reduce and your belief that you can cope increases. Laughter by itself is not the solution, but it can help a person overcome discomfort.
Here is what you can do if you have not put laughter into your life, make humor a priority and share laughter with friends. Spend more time with people who know how to have fun and laughter is a big part of how the enjoy life.
- Remember that life can be dangerous but it is also funny laugh more about it and even at yourself is a good beginning. Know what is not funny, laughing at the expense of others is not funny. Work at being discerning about your humor by laughing with — not at —- people. You can cultivate with practice your ability to laugh and start now by prioritizing fun.
Until the next time, take good care and be well.
If you enjoyed this content please “Like and Share.”
AKA The Goddess Of Wealth